Thursday, July 7, 2011

3 Parks in 2 Days

Tuesday afternoon I made my way toward the Moab, Utah area.  There are two national parks (Canyonlands and Arches) here, as well as Dead Horse Point State Park, and I visited all of them.  I would definitely love to return to this area in the future, but not in the dead of summer.  It is brutally hot, and shade is hard to come by.

Canyonlands:



Wednesday began early at dawn.  I packed up my tent and headed to Dead Horse Point State Park.  A big thanks to Dr. Moecher for the suggestion here, as I likely wouldn't have stopped otherwise:





After a hike around the rim, I drove south to Arches National Park.  Arches was the park that started the whole road trip idea, so it seems a little silly that I only spent half of a day there, but really it's not a very big place.  And I certainly packed a LOT into those 8 hours.  Here are the highlights:

Park Avenue

Balanced Rock

The Windows

Turret Arch

Landscape Arch (the largest one-- nearly a footfall field wide)

...And Delicate Arch, by far my favorite.

It's a pain getting to Delicate Arch, but it is just gorgeous.  (Truthfully, I had to take a little catnap in the shade before hiking up because I was so zapped from the heat.)  You don't see the arch until the very last moment of the hike, and I enjoyed sitting at the top listening to people's reactions change from out of breath grumbling to awe as they rounded the curve.  


But wow-- it really is just inspiring when the late afternoon sun hits it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you went to Canyonlands- all your pictures are gorgeous! Makes me wanna go back. :)
-Jordan

Sally said...

Beautiful! But by now, aren't you sort of wishing for some green?

Gregory Misner said...

Amazing!! Judy, Nick B, and I say "hey"! Amazing pictures, and beautiful landscapes. Good job with those hikes and dealing with the heat! Stay safe, and remember we love you! :)

Bill Campbell said...

Beautiful pictures all--but do you have to sit so close to the edge?

Rach said...

I don't know if you all ever go back and look to see if I've responded to your comments, but if you do...

Mom: I'm a geologist. I like the rocky landscapes. Besides, I saw lots of green in California.

Jordan: I wish I had more time than the one evening to spend in Canyonlands. Let's go back and go backpacking down in the canyon!

Anonymous said...

Rachel--
Bill beat me to it so I won't say it...The scenery is beautiful but not as beautiful as You! I think when I have my sailboat built I will have to sail to all of these places!
Love--Dad

Alan said...

Rachel, when I was at Dead Horse Point, I climbed over the wall but didn't have the nerve to sit all the way out on the ledge. I stopped off there driving back from my field camp in Cedar City in 1984. There weren't any campsites left open at Arches, and I didn't have any camping gear anyway, so I just slept in my car in the parking lot next to the overlook. I'm delighted you've been able to see so much more than I did!