Monday, July 4, 2011

Seattle

I waffled on whether to go to Seattle for a couple of weeks, so in the end I just did it.  Once in town, I headed towards the Space Needle, which I did not ride up in because I thought the price was a little ridiculous.  It is cool looking, though.


A happy surprise was that I was then greeted by the entrance to the Seattle International Beerfest.  Of course I had to participate in that festivity.


It was a little smaller than I expected, but they had a decent band and food, and samples of every beer you've never heard of.

The next morning I drove down to the Pike Place Market.  Before touring the Market, I did stop first for a cup of coffee at the original Starbucks on Pike.  I'm sure none of the locals go there because there was a line of tourists nearly out the door.


Here's me having a seat on Rachel the Pig, a bronze piggy bank who has rested in front of the Market since 1986 (the year I was born).  Thankfully, she has recuperated wonderfully after being hit by a taxi back in February.


I also saw the famous "flying fish" in the Fish Market.  The guy in the photo below just caught one in his hand:


In the afternoon I went to Pioneer Square for lunch and to look for a couple of specific stores-- a rock shop called Agate Designs, and the Elliott Bay Book Company, a huge old bookstore.  I found the address for Elliott Bay and was dismayed to find that the building was empty.  I was afraid this was just another case of an independent bookstore failing because of online sales, but later found out that the store had just moved to a new location.  *Whew.

Agate Designs was as great as I had hoped.  They just have the most beautiful rocks and fossils.


I would like them all, please.

1 comment:

Sally said...

I fully intend to go to the original Starbucks and the fish market. Will probably pass on the pig, however. Glad your namesake is doing well. Love you!!!