Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Oregon Coast

After discovering that the trails and campgrounds in Crater Lake National Park were still under 6 feet of snow, I decided to instead continue my coastal drive up into Oregon.  The coast along southern Oregon is really beautiful, and I love all of the interesting boulders scattered along the beaches.



Here's a photo from Sunset Bay, where I camped one night:


The next day I made several scenic stops along the coast on my way to Portland.


I'm of the opinion that most roadside attractions are not worth your time, but I did briefly stop at Sea Lion Caves.  They have an elevator that goes down into a natural cave where Stellar Sea Lions take shelter.  The surf was particularly rough that day, so there happened to be about 70 sea lions hanging out in the cave.


They're kind of fun to watch, but the smell was horrific.

I also stopped near Cape Perpetua at a place called Spouting Horn.  [Basically, a fracture was formed in the rocks by waves, which then developed into a cave, and now when waves funnel air into the cave at high tide, water shoots out the top.]  I happened to arrive right at high tide (lucky me!), so here's the horn in action:


I also did some exploring around the tidepools in the area.


My last stop on the coast before heading to Portland was the Tillamook Cheese Factory!  The "tour" is free, but it really just consists of a viewing area and some exhibits on making cheese.  I wasn't so much concerned with that, though, as there was cheese and fresh ice cream to be enjoyed!


3 comments:

Sally said...

Those boulders on the Oregon beach kind of remind me of the beach at Aquinnah on Martha's Vineyard. And that big rock in the ocean at Monterosso. And Barbados, a little. The sea lions look cool. Sorry they smelled.

Bill Campbell said...

Rachel, you have done and seen more in your recent days' travels than I did in twenty years living in Calif. and Oregon. Many of your photos remind me of some places I did visit, long ago. I remember how stark the Oregon coast looked on stormy days in Winters past. The rocks, the sea life, the sound of the surf on the rocks, the long and level ocean reaching to the end of the sky--you bring it all back with your kind sharing. Be well, be safe, and keep on keeping on.

Us said...

That sunset pic is super pretty!!!