Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Salt Lake City and vicinity


After camping in northwest Oregon on Sunday, I spent most of the 4th of July driving to Salt Lake City.  Even on the interstate (which I have avoided for a lot of my trip), it was a beautiful drive through Idaho and Utah. 




Once in Salt Lake, I made a quick Google search for fireworks.  At dusk I found myself in Jordan Park, a predominantly Latino area, but which happened to be only about a mile from the hostel where I was staying.  The fireworks display was pretty fantastic, in my opinion.



This morning I walked around Temple Square, the center for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  The grounds were actually very pretty, with lots of gardens and fountains.  The main temple is below.


And here is Assembly Hall, a smaller temple built with granite left over from the main temple.


Next stop: Arches National Park!

4 comments:

Alan said...

Rachel, I finally remembered to catch up with your blog (I'd left off when you were in Santa Fe). Your pix and text are delightful--they transported me away from my desk in my muggy office. Stay safe--Alan

Anonymous said...

Rachel -
You are going to love Arches and Moab. Be sure to stop at the Moab visitor center and get their folder on local hikes. The hike to Corona Arch is a particularly interesting one.
.....Larry D.

Rach said...

Larry, I went and got the brochure as you suggested, and did seriously consider doing Corona Arch. However, there was a storm rolling through Thursday morning, and I decided I would rather not be on a giant slab of exposed rock with metal safety cables drilled into it during a thunderstorm...

Thanks for the suggestion, though-- it did sound fun!

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I didn't see your response until today. As I think about the hike to Corona Arch, you made a wise decision under those conditions. Maybe next time...
.....Larry D.