Thursday, July 14, 2011

The End for Now...

After 46 days driving around the nation, my tough little Corolla and I finally made it safely home!


It was truly a great adventure and I couldn't be happier that I had the opportunity to do something like this.  In closure, I've decided to do a post here to answer some of the questions I've most commonly gotten about my trip.

What was your favorite place to visit?

That is certainly a hard one to answer because I've loved all of the places that I've seen, but for very different reasons.  As far as beauty goes, the grand waterfalls of Yosemite might be my first answer.  But Zion National Park also stands out in my mind as a place of wonderful natural diversity and peacefulness.  The Redwoods in northern California were wet and made for an unpleasant hiking/camping environment, but the area itself was among the most serene and interesting I visited.  

How much money did you spend on gas?

I have decided not to total that expense, mostly because I just don't want to know.  I will say that I got pretty good gas mileage the whole trip-- between 36 and 39 mpg.  I also drove a whopping 9,730 miles

How did you stay awake through all that driving?

My iPod was my savior.  I listened to 71 podcasts, plus most of the music in my library.  I also took a lot of scenic routes, which made the drives more interesting.

Weren't you lonely?

Yes, sometimes.  Loneliness is a funny thing, striking at the strangest moments.  I found myself wishing at times that I could share a view or an experience with someone I love.  But the truth is that I have shared those experiences with you through this blog and my photos.  I know it's not the same, but reading your comments along the way was such a comfort to me.  I really enjoyed meeting new people along the way as well, and I feel like if I had been with a friend or in a group, I wouldn't have ventured out of that protective shell nearly so much.  



Thanks for following my travelogue this summer.  If you have other questions about my trip, feel free to leave your comments and I'll do my best to respond.  I had an amazing and unforgettable experience, and I hope you enjoyed reading about it!

2 comments:

Us said...

I'm so impressed with all your travels. I looks like you had such an amazing time and saw so many of the places I hope to see with our girls in the future. Love you!!!

Bill Campbell said...

Hooray for your travels and your safe return--and for the adventuring spirit that guided you and led you to share them all--"like to the lark at break of day arising." So once more: Hooray!