Friday, July 8, 2011

Colorado

Colorado at last!  Yesterday, I drove into western Colorado on the lookout for places to set up camp.  I settled on Ridgway State Park, about 25 miles shy of Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (Friday's destination).  It was storming when I arrived, and I didn't really realize how beautiful the place was until the next morning.



After taking a quick run around the park, I packed up camp and headed toward Black Canyon.  I feel like I've been to a lot of canyons this trip, but they're all so unique and different!



Pegmatite dikes (for you geologists)

And some green for my mom.  :)

After spending the morning enjoying the views in Black Canyon, I then spent the early afternoon waiting for AAA to come retrieve my keys from my locked car.  Sigh.

Tonight I'm in Gunnison, where the UK Geology field camp is spending their summer.  I really did enjoy my field camp experience last summer, but as I watch them sit on the floor pouring over their maps after a long day of hiking, I don't envy them.

Some photos from my drive into Gunnison:

Blue Mesa Lake

The Dillon Pinnacles, formed from eroded volcanic breccia.  (As an aside, it's funny how the older I get, the more I appreciate the exhibit signs explaining things like this.)

1 comment: